Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Learning to Cook

So I have been having so much fun cooking lately. It is a good thing I like it so much cause my husband likes to eat! haha The best thing about cooking is watching Dallin eat it. Seriously he thinks everything I make is "the best". I think this is in part because he knows that if he complains I won't cook. haha jk So I learned to make bread (my wonderful aunt helped me) and that was fun! Then my friend Heidi (she is in my new ward and we get along great, I'll tell you more about her later) told me about strawberries on sale at the Ranch market so I made lots and lots of strawberry jam. Then a few weeks ago I saw on Kali's blog that she made tortillas and remembered I had a great recipe (from sister Hatch in my parents ward) for tortillas so Heidi and I decided we wanted to give them a try. So we made the dough at my house. Including squishing the cottage cheese (gross!!! but thanks for the tip KK it definitely helped) Then the dough has to sit for a while, so I took it over to Heidi's house to make the tortillas. We had so much fun!! and her kids were quite the little chef helpers!

k, the recipe made a ton of tortillas!!! Dallin and I had tacos a day later and they were yummy!!!

Why there are no pictures of Heidi and the tortillas I have no clue, I don't know how I got to be the lucky one.



k, so to introduce you all the Heidi. She lives in my same community just around the corner. I think I met her like the third week we lived in the ward (her husband is the elders quorum pres. so he introduced her to me) then when I got put in young women's she was in there too. So we became good friends. Then when I quite working she needed a walking partner in the morning so I joined her. I would run after by myself, but one day she decided (after some suggestions from other ladies in the ward) to run too! she is a pro.! Seriously she ran over a mile without stopping and didn't even look tired. I know a mile isn't that long, but going from not running to running over a mile I was very impressed!! So now we run together most mornings (when I don't have early school) it's fun to have someone to run with and be accountable to be there it definitely helps me run more.
Also, I have to say how grateful I am for Heidi, she has been such a good friend to me and made being in a different neighborhood and ward than I was used to for so long much better. There are so many fun ladies in my new ward. I have loved getting to know all of them. I am so grateful for our ward and how welcoming and including they have been towards us.
Here's a picture of Heidi and her cute family. Her husband takes pictures and took this one not too long ago.... I hope he doesn't mind me stealing it!!

I really like Bruce's pictures. He just took Jacob's senior pics. so I'll have to post some of those "legit" pictures later. ("legit" is Jacob's description of the pics.)

Oh, and an update I don't want to do, but feel that I must. Have you noticed my little ticker on the right side there. Yes I hate it! But as mentioned above it helps me to be accountable to do what I know I must. haha that sounds dramatic but really it is just me being lazy that needs to change. So I lost some weight a while ago (and didn't finish what I wanted to loose) but since being married I have gained the some of it back. Unfortunately for me I have a husband that can eat anything and everything and gain nothing and I tried it, well lets just say I didn't gain nothing. haha so I added what I gained to what I didn't loose the first time and I am on a weight loss journey once again. I don't want to be one of those people that loose weight then gain some back then loose, then gain, etc. I need tips of how to maintain. Anyone have any good ideas?Anyone want to join in my journey?

8 comments:

Susan said...

First off, your totally skinny to begin with so I dont even know why we are having this conversation!! But, Dont worry Ashley, all of us suffer from the wedding weight!! Husbands are horrible for this. Kent has the worst eating habits and he knows he has to change but when it comes down to it, he doesnt. Its so hard, they take you along with them down that dark evil path of junk food and weight gain. Only, they will never gain the weight you will. Us girls gain 20 lbs they gain 5 from eating the exact same things. What I learned is to take care of yourself and eventually it all irons out. We have been married for almost 4 years and I am finally saying no to junk food and forcing Kent to relize my way is better. Good luck, your not alone in the battle. Oh and just wait till you get pregnant and then loose that weight and get pregnant again, thats the cycle!!

Susan said...

Oh and ps. it helps when the stress of school is gone too!!!

Michelle said...

How fun!! I am so glad you guys have become such good friends. It is always nice to have that one good friend. Homemade tortilas are always tasty. I really like the Body for Life diet plan. Jared and I are getting back on that one. After I had Jake I lost a ton of weigh without even excerising on that diet. GOOD LUCK! :)

Afton LeSueur said...

I'm glad you have a running partner! Glenn has been the best running buddy. But he is like dallin, incapable of gaining weight! Anyway, haven't seen you forever! I'm glad you posted.

Anonymous said...

heidi is SO nice! funny- i wore the shirt she is wearing in that picture just yesterday! ha ha! so um, i love strawberry jam... just sayin. (: i'm so glad you have a running buddy so you don't ever have to ask me to go with you & then i end up feeling guilty for saying no because i hate it, etc. (: your tortillas look amazing & so do you! you are beautiful no matter what that dang scale says, but good luck anyways. my only advice is stay away from cookies. they have done everything except help me lose weight! (: love ya girl!

Cossebooms said...

Ashley - you are the best! That was so nice of you to say such nice things about me. I'm so grateful for our friendship. It's been fun running, hanging out, chatting, tortillas, strawberries, jewelry - doing all of the above. I look forward to doing a lot more together. Thanks for being my friend.

Tom and Joanne Asburry said...

Looks like a blast! I want to learn. That would be fun to get a group and cook and eat! Call me... lets do it!
Joanne

Sheri said...

MMMMmmmmmmm! Those tortilas look yummy! How fun. I wish I were good at cooking. I don't think I have the patience for it. You're a good wife! :)